Monday, August 19, 2013

Boil It In Baker City

Yes, I am still using public computers. And I will be until the end of this month.

I planned on buying a new laptop at the beginning of this month but I decided to wait. So it looks like most of my road updates will have to wait, too. And that includes the update that I am planning for my other blog, "Hitchhiking 101."

In the meantime, I want to let my readers know that I am alright. Tired, but okay.

I am in Baker City, Oregon today. And this city was lauded by Rand McNally as one of the most beautiful towns in 2012.

Well, yeah, it's not Cleveland (which should be near the top of the list of  "The Crappiest Cities" in the United States...from now until Mother Nature drops it into a sinkhole) but I have been to much
nicer communities in Oregon.

But hey, that's just my opinion, right?

Here is what I like about Baker City, Oregon:

1.)  They have a great Chinese restaurant called Rising Sun Palace that makes a bang-up egg drop soup.
2.) They have a public transit bus that will take you all over the city for a buck.
3.)  The city park is large, beautiful and is filled with many tall trees.
4.)  There is a nice espresso place that is located across the street from the north end of the city park.

Here is what I don't like about Baker City, Oregon:

1.) People don't smile enough, here.
2.) They have a serious problem with their water, here...now.

August 16 article/update from the Record Courier

August 16 Press Release From The City Website

I stayed in Baker City last night. I hung-out in the park, specifically in the gazebo, until the sprinklers came on. Then I high-tailed it the museum across the street and sat on a bench there, for the rest of the night.

I got a breakfast sandwich, a yummy cinnamon roll and a tall, hot container of coffee at 6 am this morning. I shared some of my breakfast with the local population of squirrels. It was a peaceful way to start my day.

I will probably take the trolley down to the local truck stop, take a shower and then head back out onto Interstate 84 later on today. I'm taking a bit of time off to relax, today. I need it!


No comments: