Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Ruthie On The Road, Update

                                          -ALL PHOTOS AND EDITS BY RUTH RADER-

Last year, I took a straight track, to Upstate New York from Oregon.

This Summer, I wandered.

The experience has been amazing!

At one point, I traveled from Oregon to Idaho to Utah to Kansas to Missouri. I planned
on going to Tennessee but I have changed my mind. Now, I am typing out this post on
a keyboard in a public library in Northwestern Kansas.

I have spent a great deal of time in Kansas this year.

I lived a quiet existence in little Frankfort, Kansas for awhile...but the domestic drama
in the house on the corner proved to be too much for me. So I did what I had to do and
then I left.

I hitchhiked back to Oregon and then came back to this flat and funky redneck State.

I'm going to share a few stories about my time here. This State that I most likely
will leave today.

There is a Winter storm coming...the first real one of the Season...and when I get back
on the road today...and I am going to head right into it.

Event:
Winter Storm Watch issued October 02 at 5:46AM MDT until October 05 at 6:00AM MDT by NWS RapidCity
Alert:
...STRONG FALL STORM TO BRING EARLY SNOW TO THE AREA...
.A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL AFFECT THE CENTRAL TO NORTHERN
PLAINS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY....BRINGING WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION
TO THE AREA. AS COLDER AIR PUSHES INTO THE REGION...RAIN WILL MIX
WITH OR CHANGE TO SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. THERE IS A
POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOWFALL ACROSS NORTHEAST
WYOMING AND THE BLACK HILLS THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT.
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF SIX INCHES OR MORE WILL BE POSSIBLE.
...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING
THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT...
A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING
THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT.
* TIMING...SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN THURSDAY NIGHT...
CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY...THEN TAPER OFF FRIDAY NIGHT.
* MAIN HAZARD...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF SIX OR MORE INCHES ARE
POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTHEAST WYOMING AND THE BLACK HILLS.
__________

I am going to travel north into Nebraska, then up into South Dakota, across into Montana,
Idaho, Washington State and back down into Oregon. It's time for me to return to my
"home" for the Winter.

The cold-weather shelters will open there within the next month or so. I want to get back
and settle-in.

It will be some time before I cross that border back into North Central Oregon. But I am
already looking forward to spending a night or two at that motel on the hill in Hood River.

Autumn is finally here and Winter is nipping at its heels...bring it on!

No comments: