Thursday, April 24, 2014

Believe It




So much has happened so fast! And now I am in a small-town city in Oklahoma, near the Arkansas border. Ahhh...Oklahoma, where most men drive a truck, Bibles are thumped on a daily basis and nobody cares if women are fat.


I sure had a time getting here.


I did end up in a warm and cozy motel in Colorado...but much farther North than I would have preferred. That's because I got stonewalled in a community where I just couldn't get a ride out!


So I blew almost all of my Wyndham Reward points, enjoyed a night in a nice motel room and then got a ride down to Canon City, Colorado.


FACEBOOK VIDEO LINK THREE: CANON CITY, COLORADO


Most of my updates have been via video and I have posted them on my main Facebook page. But I am going to post a long overdue update, here, today.


Back To The Beginning:


I got restless and decided that I should try, once again, to hitchhike across the Country to New Hampshire. I was in Sweet Home, Oregon when that decision was made.


VIDEO ONE, CASCADIA, OREGON:





VIDEO TWO, SISTERS, OREGON:





VIDEO THREE, JEEPIN' THRU UTAH:





VIDEO FOUR, NEAR GLENWOOD SPRINGS, COLORADO:





VIDEO FIVE, PLAINS, KANSAS:





VIDEO SIX, OUTSIDE MANCHESTER, OKLAHOMA:





I am going to tell you about my experience in Plains, Pratt and Harper, Kansas. I will also share my impression of Wetumka and Henryetta, Oklahoma. But I also want you to know about the real me. Because I am not a stereotypical hitchhiker.


I like to watch old movies from the 30's and read novels that are like a wink in a fantastic eye. I love the smell of dusty secrets and the creak of old, wooden floorboards in a roadside antique store. I follow technology as it marches through the Internet and marvel at the advances that have been made in telecommunication. And I live around and breathe in and cannot live without music. Music is my drug of choice.


Today I am listening to (of all people) Art Garfunkel. Springtime is in full-bloom here, it rained today and I am dreaming of New England. So, I suppose that is why his voice is filling my soul like the soft petals of a fragrant flower. Tomorrow I might choose a classic track by AC/DC. That is the way I am and that, I believe, is what music is all about.


It is unfortunate that many of the people who read my blog will never get the chance to actually meet me. Rainbows include many shades of neon...one more stripe would only make the curve more beautiful. It is a shame that I will never meet all of you. I know that some of you live in other countries...an ocean away from me. While some of you work for AC Nielsen  and several professional computer companies in this Country. You live in Ohio and Pennsylvania and California and New York.


You read my words all over the World.


My shoes get muddy, my hair blows into a rat nest, I am slow and sometimes I laugh too loud...and other times I don't laugh...when I probably should.


I have watched humanity welcome a brand new work week through countless windshields and I have stood silent as the sun has set a mountain range ablaze at the end of a long day.


And I know that when a cop has stopped to talk to me or a group of truckers have watched me walk across a parking lot...they will never really know me. They will only take in what they see...and nothing more. And they will always miss the best part of who I am.


Believe it.


Art Garfunkel: "RAG DOLL"


No comments: