Thursday, November 20, 2014

FSU Shooting: Disgrace In A Public Place


"In a million years I wouldn't have thought he'd do something like this."--Abigail Taunton.
__________

SHOOTING: FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY

ABC NEWS COVERAGE

Jason Derfuss: One Student's Miracle

Early this morning, it happened again. Another dysfunctional individual strode into a
public place and opened fire.

And you know what gets me the most about this latest shooting?

The fact that it happened in a public place. Yes, that's what really concerns me.

I am in public places every day.

I am in a public place right now...a local McDonald's restaurant...typing this out on
my laptop.

When I leave here, I will board a bus to the public library...which is located very near
to the campus of Oregon State University...and their library...here in Corvallis, Oregon.

I worry sometimes when I am out and about...I wonder if someone is going to pull out
a gun and open fire at the transit center or the Fred Meyer grocery store.
Like someone seeking out fire exits, I have already rehearsed in my mind where I will
go if the bullets start flying in any of those places.

That shouldn't be the case...but it is.

So where are we, as a nation, going to take this situation?

To a higher level?

Or are we going to figure out, once and for all, how to prevent this sort of thing from
happening?

Just how brave or gutless are our people going to become?

No comments: