Saturday, August 22, 2015

Corvallis: Beside The Blessings

As the Good Book says: "If you spit in the air...it lands in your face."--"Fiddler On The Roof"
__________

                               
                                PHOTO/EDITS BY RUTH RADER--2012

I walked into Central Park yesterday and I watched a group of children clamber over the playground
toys there. Then I strolled down the path past roses and other late August blossoms. After a few
minutes I sat down on a bench and surveyed the beautiful nature around me. A gentle breeze ruffled
my hair while it danced through the leaves on the limbs above me.

An acquaintance met me at the library and took me to dinner at Burger King. We talked and laughed.
Then I moved my arm the wrong way and knocked half of my drink onto the floor...ice and all.

The young man who mopped it up said that he didn't mind mopping it up because, he explained:
"It's my job."

He smiled when he said it.

Later, my friend dropped me off and I settled down into my "outside world." When the sun rose
this morning, I silently thanked God, His angels and a local City presence for watching over me
all night.

A group of volunteers prepared a big breakfast for all of the homies and as we happily filed into
the dining room, I thought about how blessed we are. I sipped hot coffee and ate my breakfast
burrito while another homie across the table, grinned.

That's when it occurred to me that none of the folks from the Citizens For Protecting Corvallis
mentioned anything about the blessings that they, too enjoy here in Corvallis, Oregon. They
never spoke about their families, their homes, their vehicles, their employment or the quality
of living that they obviously enjoy in this area.

Those folks are truly fortunate. But you wouldn't know it by the way that they talk when they're
in public. Nope.

Two years ago, I took a few photos and posted them in my blog under the title, "The Colors Of Corvallis" .  Last October, I posted a second set of photos. And another collection of photos
that reflect the beauty of the Corvallis Christmas Season were posted in 2012.

So, don't ever say that I don't appreciate or care about the City of Corvallis. That simply isn't
true.

I am totally aware of my blessings here.

Are you?


No comments: