Monday, September 07, 2015

The Meeting And The Real Message

MY VIDEO MESSAGE TO CORVALLIS/SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 7, 2015





TOO STUPID TO RECOGNIZE A SMART IDEA

"Oh but...he's an exception."

A guy hit the keyboard on the piano that stands outside of Starbucks in downtown
Corvallis. He played like a close cousin to Elton John. And people noticed...yes,
they did.

He looks like he's homeless. I could be wrong but by all indications he looks like
he is an official member of the Transient Tribe.

By all indications.

I sit here, sipping my coffee and typing this out. And I am homeless. But the folks
here at Starbucks let me sit in here, anyway...walker, bags and all.

I don't have booze, rolled up cigarettes or
a glass pipe stashed in my belongings. I am thinking with a clear head and minding
my own...exemplifying the epitome of acceptable mainstream behavior.

So am I an exception, too?

Why can't I have a clean bed in a modern shelter here in downtown Corvallis?

I don't whistle at or accost anybody. Nope, not me.

My words don't need to be close-captioned and my demeanor is non-threatening. As far
as I am concerned, I don't deserve the slings and arrows that were thrown at the last
meeting with the (aak! ptui!) "Citizens For Protecting Corvallis."

Those haters verbally lambasted the local homeless population and I am one of the local
homeless people here. So I take exception to THAT!

I sit in the bus transit center every night and watch the night hours roll by. I know that
quite a few homeless people have as much talent as I and the piano playing guy do. And
I feel that it is a terrible truism that our collective abilities continue, for the most part,
to be unrecognized and ignored.

THAT IS NOT HOW IT SHOULD BE.

It is my opinion that Corvallis, Oregon...for all of its "hip-to-be-cool" reputation...should
be seeing the homeless population for what it really is...ALL.THE.WAY.THROUGH.

Don't get up with a microphone in your hand and tell me that I don't know what I am talking
about.

Unless you want me to tell the truth and call you a liar.


No comments: