CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Friday, April 01, 2016

My Response To An Ugly American


                                                OH REALLY?

Before I dissect the next two comments that dropped into my email inbox today, I want to
thank both of the posters for sending them to me. The comments perfectly illustrate what
is wrong with the mindset of some of the people involved in trying to house the homeless
in this State.

The naiveté and ignorance of the commenters words is astounding:

COMMENT ONE:

"If you are trying to get in an Adult Foster Care Home, it has nothing to do with being a commodity, because if you were, they would take you in a hot second.

From what I see, 30 years in the assisted living community, you've been homeless for some time. With that, how much (months - years) medical history did you have to present to the home?

If you have you don't have, or have very little documented medical history, this will surely be a problem entering a Private Adult Foster home or Care Home.

If you have a medical history that doesn't show much, most homes will not accept you. If you have been homeless for a while, many adult foster homes have problems with this and here is why.

They feel that you've been homeless for so long, how will you accept conditions, rules, regulations, and staying in one place.

Many homes are scared to take a resident who have been homeless because of these reasons.

It is a business (but not just about money), because if they feel you could just up-and-leave, at any time, they will not accept you. If they feel, you may have a problem with authority, they will not accept you.

Also, there will be "no" progress notes about your condition. This is a red flag for any adult foster home.

In fact, if you've ever been turned down, do not try and retaliate (talking bad about the home/or person, calling, saying things to DHS agents, being visibly disgruntled against the facility or the placement agency), because this will set you back further. What ever you do, please do not call anyone and leave a disgruntled message. This is like a progress note, it gets around. This information can be a "told-you-so" and gives weight to the reasons for not accepting you.

The other thing to remember is, with an adult foster home, you are being brought into a persons "Home". For this reason, the department of human services allows these homes to make their own decisions.

The other thing is referring to yourself as a commodity. If that was the case, and it was all about money, you would have been accepted in a home already.

They don't care about the money. They care about the quality of life their current residents have, and will that quality of life be compromised because they accepted someone in their home without having the appropriate information.

I've been in the assisted living field for over 30 years. I know one thing, if the adult foster home is worth anything, they will do their do-diligence in order to make sure every single person in their care is provided for.

If, everything about you is perfect for the home, but there might be a problem with a current resident, they will more than likely pass on placing you there.

There are so many reasons you could have been turned down, you could fill your blog with them.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

You might also try assisted living, or a nursing facility. Only temporary, just to get some progress note history, then apply for an adult foster home after about 3 months. This will lay down the ground work to get yourself into a private home."

MY RESPONSE:

You should write speeches for Donald Trump. Because when it comes to focusing on facts, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Evidently you haven't been reading my blog posts for very long.

I spent an entire week in the hospital several months ago. I was under the direct care of a highly-specialized
cardiologist. He ordered a battery of tests and then told me that the problem with my heart is genetic.
That means that I was born with the problem and my heart is now aging faster than the rest of my
body.

I have been in-and-out of medical care several times over the past two years. I have recent records
and I am taking four different prescription medicines each day now. I have congestive heart failure, pulmonary
edema, sleep apnea (that means that when I fall asleep I sometimes stop breathing) and when I walk
I get winded very easily. That's why I use a four-wheeled walker on a regular basis.

I have taken photos and video of myself while I was in the hospital in several different
communities. I fact, when I was interviewed by the last prospective caregiver, I gave her the
URL to my blog and encouraged her to read it.

My health situation is chronic, well-documented and no secret.

As to my homeless status turning me into an automatic risk: Shame on you for trying to tether
me to prejudicial, discriminating stereotypical attributes. As a self-proclaimed "professional",
you should know better than that.

My socio-economic status has no bearing on my behavior. I am the same individual human
being whether I have a million dollars in my pocket or no money at all. I am looking for
four walls and a roof with the same expectations as a home-buyer to a realtor.

I have no intention of wasting my time or anyone else's. I want to go home and if I ever acquire
one I will remain there. DUH!

And I am a grown adult. My medical situation has not nor will it ever make me into a second-
class citizen, Sir. I won't live with any sort of "authority" (what the hell are you implying?) but
I will expect proper care, kindness, compassion, security and the peaceful enjoyment of my
home.

Your directive that I keep quiet about the ongoing shenanigans surrounding elder care is
disgraceful...and too late. I wonder how many complaints you've fielded
in Dundee or wherever it is you work out of. You may have used intimidation and other
bully tactics with other people but don't you dare try it on me.

I have already been involved in a voluntary way with an official investigation involving a
facility and the State of Oregon within the past year. I did the right thing and I would do it
again if it was warranted. I don't like seeing innocent and vulnerable people mistreated. Period.



Elder abuse is rampant in facilities across this Country and the State of Oregon has its own
share of incidents. Anyone who suggests that I "put-up and shut-up" is asking to get their
license yanked. So take that "red flag" and run it up where the sun doesn't shine.

Last but certainly not least: Care giving facilities are about money. It costs thousands of
dollars to provide room, board, nursing and related daily care to each person in those facilities.
Someone who has less money to spend and a limited sort of insurance cannot just walk in and
make a deal.

The State (you should know this, already) requires each economically disadvantaged person to
 "prove" that he or she is truly eligible and in need of a higher level of care. (I personally feel
that Oregon has set the bar too high.) I passed the assessment but that doesn't mean that a
credible house or facility is going to throw open its doors to me.

This is because someone like you stands on the other side. And someone like you doesn't want
me to use my brain...or expect respect...or require proper care...or desire peace in my valley. No,
someone like you wants me to move in, dumb down and "disappear"...while you pocket all
that money.

You ugly American.


2 comments:

TTK said...

Dear Ruth,
Your response to the comments of the psudeo homeless housing professional is excellent. I particularly like the manner in which you dissect the rationale for his prejudicial mindset. Having been employed in several occupations involving, the homeless, the elderly, and the disabled, the general assumptions and expectations of people in any or all of these groups are as follows: they are less valuable, less capable, and therefore more expendable. Throwing in being destitute usually exacerbates the negative assumptions and expectations to levels of unwarranted abuse. It is reprehensible too how with aging one becomes invisible in public, and disrepected in private, i.e., not receiving services despite standing or sitting for more than a reasonable amount of time, being patronized over the telephone by rude customer service representatives, etc. To be fair, there are a lot of people who go out of their to assist people who need a little help, like the gentleman you mentioned on your other blog post; without asking, he immediately changed your walker wheel. It's the institutional forms of discrimination that permeates the thinking of the masses--the trickle down corruption that needs to be addressed. Thank you for your interesting website and blog. I enjoy reading your perspective on current events! I found you while reading comments on the Kyron Horman case.

Ruth Rader said...

You are most welcome. Your words made my day. It does my spirit good to hear from someone who understands.

What I would've given to have been seen in the same light when I met with a
group of people the other day.

And yes, I sure do care about Kyron Horman...with all of my heart.

Thank you for your comments.