Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Two

                                PHOTOS/EDITS BY RUTH RADER

The old, rusty van lumbered up the road and then stopped in a rising cloud of dust. The
people inside the vehicle introduced themselves as a man walked out of the gas station.
He thanked the people for picking me up and told them to take me to a motel in the next
town and that he would pay for the room.

And he did.

The van took me to the motel and then the grocery store and then back to the motel again.
I slept well and then took a little shuttle out to the end of that town. A man finally stopped
but I decided that he was too weird to be my next chauffer. So I refused the ride. He wasn't
happy about my refusal but left, anyway.

Awhile later he came back and started giving me a hard time. I backed up. I didn't like his
vibes.

Suddenly I heard the crunch of tires on gravel and turned around. A big man in a large truck
leaned on the steering wheel and glared through the windshield at the problem guy. The
creepy guy did the math very quickly, turned his vehicle around and made a very hasty
retreat.

My new friend is known as Butch. He drove me all the way from Dayton, Washington to
Lewiston, Idaho. Then he dropped me off at the library, went home and showered and then
came back to the library.

Butch bought me dinner and then got me a room at a motel. The motel manager there did my
laundry. And the next day, I visited with some very friendly workers at the local Dutch
Bros. coffee hut. I only had three dollars on my DB card but they turned it into a large, tasty
and highly caffeinated treat. Then they handed me a fancy breakfast bar to match.



I left there with a smile on my face as I rolled over to the community center. A shuttle bus
picked me up there and brought me up to Kooskia, Idaho. I bought some cheese and grapes
at a grocery store there and then walked across the bridge back to highway 12.

About 45 minutes later a woman stopped her minivan. Her kids sat quietly as she asked me
if I would like to stay at her home overnight. It was raining and cold and getting late in the
day so I accepted her offer.

"Hope ya like farms" said the oldest boy.


No comments: