Sunday, August 28, 2016

Into The Great Wide Taken

                                PHOTO/EDITS BY RUTH RADER

Some holy hoarders have moved into northern Idaho. And the WASHINGTON POST published
an article about it. The words below are my response to that article. I posted the comments on the Washington Post website last night:
__________

I don't believe in coincidence. But I do believe in the existence and the power of God. And I believe that He led me to read this article tonight. Oh, if you could see a video of my memories!

Lately, for no particular reason, I have started watching dozens of SHTF and "Survival Tip Of The Week" videos. I have also checked-out every type of structure available, from tiny houses to bomb bunkers. And I have read quite a few of the redneck, Christian right, git mah gun, stay away frum mah greed stash...publications.





"I git along with animuls more than I do people!" say the thinly-vieled haters who tell themselves more lies than they do anyone else. They repeat those lies in order to assauge what's left of their conscience as they hoard...with no intention of sharing...more and more and more. And I know where it all will lead...eventually, it will be Hayden Lake all over again.

What do I mean by that?

Years ago, I bluffed my way into a day and overnight experience at what was then the Aryan Nations compound near Hayden Lake, Idaho. I met Mr. Butler and ate a spaghetti dinner in his house. I prowled around the compound...from the so-called "church" (with the bullet hole in the lower left corner of the stained glass window that hung high in the sanctuary and the Hitler youth tracts stashed in the foyer) to the office where I looked at page-after-page of names and addresses on the local and the National mailing lists. I know about Congress and the collection of cars at the bottom of the hill near the tree line.

My point?

People who walk down the "survivalist" path need to be careful that they don't wander too far off the trail. Otherwise, they will become just as corrupt and dangerous as those that they say are the real threat. I don't care how many pounds of supplies you gather together...just as long as you share a message of peace with the rest of the world at the end of the day.

No comments: