Sunday, December 18, 2016

Home: Here We Go Again

                                 PHOTOS/EDITS BY RUTH RADER

MY NEW "GO FUND ME" PAGE TO HELP ME GET A HOME

Another winter storm is moving in. I received the bad news this afternoon. Once again, the
Columbia Gorge is going to be inundated with snow and ice. The tease of sunshine that graced
this weather-worn community earlier in the day just didn't last long enough. All too soon the
precious light slipped away and now...now...here we go again.

Again.

I have no idea where I will go tomorrow. No one is going to wave a magic wand and bring
back the Fourth of July to Hood River, Oregon. And I have no more money to take a bus
anywhere. I have a shower pass but I don't have any way to get to where I can use it. I also
have no way to wash my clothes.

And all I keep on saying to myself is: "I. WANT. TO. GO. HOME."

I want to sink into a tub of bubbles or sit under a hot shower until all of my fingers are like
prunes. I want to wash my clothes and slip into my nice clean jammies. I want to pull back
the covers and sleep horizontally (I haven't done that in a week) in a real bed. I want to eat
good food and listen to music and write like I am composing the last novel to be published
on Earth.

I want to be warm.

I. WANT. TO. GO. HOME.

No comments: